Courgettes (or zucchini elsewhere in the world) are a real summer vegetable, in season in the UK from June to October, and really at their peak in later July. This recipe makes them the centrepiece of the dish while also providing a delicious satisfying balanced meal.
I’ve got a big courgette glut at the moment with lots of green and yellow, standard and round ones coming out the garden nearly every day. I was looking for something a bit different to do with them, other than the usual stir-fries, courgetti noodles, grilling or simple steaming. This dish is really easy, quick and super tasty.
Like a lighter version of a cheesy bake like macaroni or cauliflower cheese, this recipe uses cashew nuts and nutritional yeast to give a lovely creamy, slightly cheesy flavoured, healthy sauce.
INGREDIENTS | Serves 4
3 courgettes (approx 500g), chopped into chunks
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
4 spring onions, sliced
1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 4 hours if you have time*
1 carrot, grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Juice of half a lemon
1 tsp tamari or soy sauce
1 cup boiling water
sea salt and pepper, to taste
2 tbsp hemp seed hearts
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C (350F).
- Place the chopped courgette, tomatoes and spring onions in an ovenproof dish.
- Drain and rinse the cashews (if you’ve had chance to soak them).
- Place the cashews, carrot, garlic, nutritional yeast, mustard, lemon juice, tamari, water and seasoning in a food processor or high power blender and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning as required.
- Add the sauce to the courgettes and stir to mix evenly.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Scatter the hemp seeds on top and serve.
Serve a generous serving of this veggie bake with a fresh, herby green salad or some seasonal steamed greens like chard or spinach.
*HINT: For a nut-free alternative, why not steam some cauliflower florets until tender then use to replace the cashew nuts – it makes an equally lovely rich creamy sauce.